Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fashion Help

** This post should help you find a style that fits your brace.**
OK, first of all, your style will probably change because of the brace. But this is a good chance to really branch out and try out different styles on yourself.
What you need to make sure and do is draw attention to your face. Buy things like headbands, barrettes, necklaces, etc. Also try some new hairstyles: ponytail, pigtails, braid(s), bun, two buns, clip up, side bangs, etc.

SHORTS
I have found that in order to get my pants/shorts over my brace I need to get them one or two sizes bigger, or get my regular size with elastic waist bands (those work wonders).
SKIRTS
Skirts are my new fashion staple. I wear them all the time now. They help a lot, especially tiered ones. Most skirts 'poof out' if you know what I mean...they aren't just flat against your skin, so they make it less noticeable. you can get skirts like this everywhere.
SHIRTS
Regular t-shirts work great. They aren't skin tight, but they aren't so big that it looks like you're trying to hide something.
JACKETS
My other fashion staple. My brace sticks out at the top of my back, so the hood covers that perfectly. Short sleeved jackets can be worn in the spring and summer. Just wear a simple bright colored tank top under your jacket (but over your brace) and unzip the jacket a little. You can't tell a thing! I wear short sleeved jackets with everything...I just throw on a tank top, jacket, and cute skirt, and I'm good to go.
PONCHOS
Are perfect.
UNDER YOUR BRACE
You can order cotton shirts that are made for scoliosis braces, but you'll need to talk to your doctor about that. You can also buy smooth spaghelli-strapped shirts (Dillard's) to go under your brace for when you want to wear sleeveless or spaghelli strapped shirts.
PANTS
I've found that jeans with back pockets conceal the part of my brace that sticks out at the bottom, because they put another layer of fabric over it. Even with the brace, my jeans fit well. You won't have to get big, baggy jeans, don't worry! Your brace won't affect the legs of your jeans, just the top.

No comments: